Conte Estate “Yabby Dam”
The “Yabby Dam” Pinot Noir has aroma and flavor of cherry, black currant and spice enhanced by 24 month French & American barrel maturation. The mid bodied intensity of the ripe McLaren Vale red tradition.
Gold Medal at the Wine Style
Food and Wine Pairing: The dark berry flavors and hint of Middle Eastern spices make this a nice complement to the lightly spiced soup. The cream in the soup offsets nicely the supple mid bodied flavors of this red, and the smokey flavors from the Chipolte peppers and smoked paprika marry well with smooth, very light tannins in the finish.
Zippy Peanut and Smoked Chicken Soup
- 1/4 cup butter
- 2 medium onions, small diced
- 2 Tea. smoked sweet paprika
- 3 cloves of garlic, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup All Purpose flour (for gluten free purposes, rice flour may be substituted)
- 8 cups chicken stock
- 2 Chipotle peppers, finely minced (rehydrate in a little hot chicken stock if using dried, reserve stock for use) or use canned Chipotle peppers (drained)*
- 1 cup finely shredded smoked chicken or grilled chicken can be substituted
- 3 cups heavy cream
- 3 Tbs. chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 cup chunky peanut butter (I prefer Skippy Superchunk)
- Kosher salt and pepper to taste.
*to tone down the spice a bit reduce the quantity of Chipotle peppers.
- Saute the onions, smoked paprika, garlic and chilies until the onions are translucent.
- Add the flour and stir in to blend
- Quickly add all the chicken stock, whisking until smooth
- Simmer on low heat for about 25 minutes, stirring frequently
- Whisk in the peanut butter until incorporated.
- Stir in the chicken, cilantro, cream and and bring back to a simmer and serve.
- Soup is also good chilled but may need to be thinned with water or milk.
- Garnish with fresh cilantro sprigs and chopped toasted peanuts